Sunday 10 August 2014

New home for the school year, weekend, new friends, etc

On Friday, I took half the day off to go to an interview for DEM society, for the events assistant. I was so glad I got a chance to interview for the position although Im not quite sure if they will choose me. The interview went fairly well, I knew the girl who interviewed me, because she is now the events coordinator for DEMS. With my previous experience and all, I really hope I can land the job, even though it's not paid, it's a great experience, especially for my resume.

I'd like to say that I have finally found a place to call home for the school year. I live in markham and go to school at the University of Toronto Mississauga, which is like 45 min by car (assuming no traffic) and 3 hours by bus! Initially, I wanted to commute, since my program does not require me to take a lot of jam packed courses. However, since I could only fit them into a 3 day schedule, Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday, I didn't want to drive back and forth everyday. Thus, I started house-hunting at the beginning of July. Trust me, it is no easy task. First of all, I wanted to rent a condo unit, to share with 1-2 girls, but it was near impossible, because condo's in mississauga, especially around square one, are so so so so so expensive; they require a 1 year lease, and most are not furnished, which averages $1600+ for a 2 bedroom condo. To be honest, I also didn't want to find a random girl to call roommate from the web. The past few weekends, I've driven to sauga to take a look at a few places, some of which were too expensive, or weren't what I expected. However, this week, I saw an ad on kijiji that sparked my interest. Although it is indeed a basement (which i tried my best to avoid), it looked really clean and appealing. I went to take a look on Saturday and found out that I knew a girl who lived there! That is a major plus, not to mention we both live in markham so we can probably commute back home together on the weekdays. About the place, it is a small townhouse owned by a graduate from UTM, who rented out 2 rooms on the upper floor already. The basement was the only option available. I get the spacious bedroom (FURNISHED) and the living room all to myself! The living room comes with a comfy couch and TV, which will be very convenient. The only downside is that there is no bathroom in the basement. I would have to go to the main floor to use the washroom and to the second floor to shower. It is definitely not an ideal situation, but it's ok, I think. The rent is $600/month all inclusive, so unlike the condos, I wouldn't have to set up all the internet and hydro accounts, etc. The owner is also very nice, and quiet. I legit signed the lease on the spot, so that the girl that was supposed to come take a look after me had to go home, I feel bad for her, but also great! I cannot wait to move my personal belongings there in Sept!!!!

After the viewing, I went back to markham with my boyfriend because my coworkers planned a triple date at Mix 2 for karaoke. It turned out to be a quadruple date + 1 guy. It was fun, I love get-togethers, and just to hand out with people. I also met a new friend, Crystal. She is a coworker as well, though we never see each other because I work at the back and she works at the front, and she normally goes out for lunch. Funny though because before meeting her, I told my aunt that she is coming to the event with us, and my aunt made her sound like a person that cannot be bothered, but she turned out to be really nice and outgoing. The karaoke was fun in general, though since I can't sing chinese songs and majority of them only sing chinese songs, I did feel bored at times. Seemed like I was the only one who chose english songs to sing, haha but no big deal. Before we left, Crystal asked me to go clubbing next weekend, and I would love to but I really hope I can work the ride back home issue first.

Lastly, I will not have my car this week! I am going to feel so handicapped!!!! This is because my aunt from HK is coming over to take care of the last few documentations for my grandma. I hope that I can get a ride to work, and to volunteer on Tuesday…..

That's about it for now!
xoxo, tiff


No comments:

Post a Comment