Wednesday 27 August 2014

FLORIDA TRIP! 8/20-8/25

This is going to be a summary of my trip to Orland and Fort Lauderdale, Florida over the past week.

Too many things happened over the course of 5 days, so I will be selectively describing highlights from the pictures I took! - I apologize in advance because this will be a pretty lengthly post, because you know me, i exaggerate everything haha… Let's get started!

Day 1! When we arrived, we got spoiled into driving this awesome ride. It is a Ford Edge AWD SUV. Sadly I didn't get a chance to drive it because I am not 25, nor 21 to rent. But sitting in this big car for a week made me feel superior compared to driving my tiny fit! Nevertheless, it was a sweet ride, a little pricey rental, but well worth it.


On the first day, I had a mini shopping spree at an outlet mall in Florida. I bought a sports bra from Victoria's Secret, an Estee Lauder 'hydrationist' moisturizer (recommended to me by the sales associate) and the Mac prep & prime transparent finishing powder. I chose this over the loose powder because she told me they are basically the same, but loose powder tends to get messy and I couldn't agree more. The prices were ok, I hope that I won't find it cheaper at the Mac warehouse sale I will be going to next week in Markham.





On the night of the first day, my aunt wanted to eat seafood, she was told to try a famous type of crab/lobster (I forgot the name of it, but I couldn't care less since I'm not a seafood fan anyway!) I searched on Urban Spoon and Google reviews to find this modern, contemporary, and popular restaurant called "Bonefish Grill." The prices were decent, not too expensive but very delicious. I'd say, it's comparable to Jack Astor/Kelsey prices. They are famous for their chillean sea bass fish and "bang bang shrimp" which I thought was heavenly! For dessert, we tried a banana split flatbread, very unique. Overall, I really enjoyed the food and service there. For those of you who are visiting Florida in the near future, I would definitely recommend to give Bonefish Grill a try. They have multiple locations for convenience. Here are some pictures, we got a few dishes to share but these were the ones worth mentioning. Their steak was ok, nothing to brag about.




On the second day, we went to one of Disney's water parks, Typhoon Lagoon. I had a blast there, literally. Unfortunately my period came on the same day but a tampon always does the trick…. Anyway, we went on water slides, and wave pools. We even dragged grandma into some rides, which scared her to death but I believe it is an opportunity she must take before she gets any older! I didn't have my phone/camera with me but here I am before the fun began


On the third day, we went to Walt Disney World. It was kind of a disappointment to me and a huge turning point to my vacation because something personal happened. We didn't get to go on a lot of rides, in fact only rode on around 4-5 rides. I've been to the Walt Disneyland parks in California and Hong Kong and I have to say the rides I rode here were pretty similar if not identical, to the one in California. So, thank goodness I didn't miss out on too much. I also got a major sun tan on my shoulders, tan lines everywhere. Overall, I was happy I got to go to the land of magic even though it wasn't a magical day for me. Here is the beautiful castle!


I took this picture because it is one of the nicest swimming pools at a hotel I've ever seen. Sadly, we didn't have a chance to go in it because we were exhausted every day coming back from Disney and shopping. Our hotel was the Hyatt Regency Orlando right on International Drive. It was very convenient, and I really wish I'd a chance to visit the pool :(



After about 3 days in Orlando, we drove 5 hours (because of lack of directions) to Fort Lauderdale! This was a boutique hotel, called Sonesta Fort Lauderdale, right before the beach. I loved our stay, especially our view, as you can see in the second picture.



OOTD! One of my favourite rompers, so comfy and sleek. Hair tied up because the humidity in Florida is almost unbearable.


On our 5th day, we originally planned to go to "Key West," the most southern point in Florida but because of time, we decided not to go, and visit South Beach in Miami instead. I really wanted to go to Key West because on top of the 2 hour drive from our hotel in Fort Lauderdale to the southest point inland on Miami, you have to drive on a bridge for about 2 hours south of Miami! It is literally an island, with the purest of sand and water. Next time if I ever visit Florida, I am definitely making time to visit! Here is my panoramic take of South Beach. In my opinion, the view is stunningly calming and very pretty, however the water quality is very dirty as most reviews on Google had mentioned. However, I've longed to go to a beach for quite a long time and thus I was satisfied anyway.



Here is another mini haul (as you can see, I am getting kind of obsessed with makeup). We went to Galleria Mall right beside our hotel, I went to Sephora and purchased these. It was a total of $65, but I had decided to return the smash box pallet and the brushes due to bad reviews on Sephora. I really wanted to like the Smashbox pallet because of how sleep and compact the packaging was. It will definitely be a great add on to my travel makeup bag, but as almost all the reviews on Sephora had mentioned, the fallout is terrible, and for $22 it is just not worth it. I also returned the brush set because people complained it was not soft enough. I am horrible in that I always buy brushes but never end up using them. I made the right choice in returning them. I kept the nail buffer and sephora's take of "beauty blender" just to try it out!


On the last day, we spent the entire day shopping at the Colonade Outlets at Sawgrass Mills. I love that mall. It had almost everything I am obsessed with! Although I couldn't purchase everything I wanted, I spent a lot of money purchasing the ones that I fell in love with. I forgot to take pictures but I will probably post them another day. I bought a burberry jacket from Bloomingdales outlet, a new pair of black Uggs and a Burberry tote for school. I am a big brand lover now, and as bad as it sounds, I am getting more and more addicted to high end fashion. Now I have to compromise and save up for my living expenses but that's the consequences of buying luxury for a budgeted student! - I did work the entire summer full-time so I think I did deserve to spend some of it impulsively, haha…

Our flight was supposed to depart to Toronto at 10:55 pm. But hey, it's Air Canada. It was delayed for 2 hours, we eventually departed at 12 am and arrived at 3 am. We got home at around 4 am, which exhausted everyone out. I am sad to leave Florida but happy to be greeted in Canada with not so humid weather, though it was definitely very hot these days.



xoxo, tiff

No comments:

Post a Comment