Wednesday 17 September 2014

Update: job hunting, school, korean fried chicken

I was lucky enough these two summers to have a full-time job at my aunt's company, Samtack. It's not her company, but she works there. She initially brought me in for a job as a cashier in their semi annual warehouse sale in April 2013. After 3 weeks, a manager told me to stay for the summer. It wasn't a job I enjoyed necessarily, dealing with heavy inventory and all, but I was very thankful to have it. I ended up working there this summer as well, and a few warehouse sales here and there. The people generally are very nice to me. I'm known as the ah mui (like little sister/girl) of the team.

Now, it's time to job hunt again. During my past several years of job hunt experience, it is usually very bad. I either get lucky to the point where I don't even have an interview (and get the job on the spot like Aeropostale), or very unlucky that I apply to many places and not even get a phone call back.

I have been searching for a job the past several weeks. I can't say this is easy. I applied to many stores at my local mall, and even some on-campus jobs. I have gotten three interviews, but no call backs :( It really is hard nowadays even to find a part-time job in Canada (through my experience). I am so envious of the people who already have a job, or can effortlessly get one. So I am doing a whole lot volunteering this year, in hopes to enhance my skills for my resume. I have gotten an un-paid job for a school club which I really enjoy. But, I really do need to find a paying job to support my expenses living on my own....

Almost two weeks have passed by, and I am awfully tired. I've decided to pack myself with 6 courses (3.0 credits) this semester because I can't find a job yet. Luckily for me, 4/6 courses requires an exam and my program itself is generally pretty sparse. That being said, I do have three 9 am classes which are dreadful. I wake up at 7:45 am each day (Monday-Wednesday) and have found myself drinking coffee for three consecutive days! I do intend to keep all these courses and do well in them too, so I have got to put myself together for these 4 months.

After class today, my roommates and I went to eat a Korean restaurant on Dundas and Hurontario. They specialize in "korean fried chicken." At first I was surprised to see $20 for a plate! But, when the food came, I quickly understood their pricing. I can't lie, it wasn't bad, I've got to bring my bf back there to try next time! Here is the platter:



No comments:

Post a Comment